Thursday, May 12, 2011

Problems? See them as opportunities.

For those who miss this well written article by - Pragya Mehta

The word "perception" comes from the Latin words perceptio and percipio, as is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "the process of becoming aware or conscious of a thing or things".

It means that one should not only look at things, but also comprehend them.

Let me illustrate this with a short story.

There was a boy who stammered while speaking, and his friends often teased him about it. One day, he asked his mother whether he was "physically challenged in speaking".

His mother replied: "No, son. It is just that your brain run faster than your tongue does." And with that, she turned his weakness into a strength.

There are many ways to look at a problem. Some people see it as a stumbling block, while others see it as a stepping stone. People often blame "circumstances" for their problems. But they may not realise that these circumstances are simply the result of decisions they have made.

There is nothing inherently good or bad in any situation, but our thinking makes it so.

All problems can be solved eventually. Tears and regret will not help. What is important is to accept the mistakes you have made, analyse what went wrong and be happy to have gained experience in life.

Commit yourself to do better in future and be thankful for the opportunity to grow stronger, become more understanding and have more confidence.

So, the next time you encounter a problem, tell yourself: An opportunity is knocking.

Change your perception.

2 comments:

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

I stammered when I was in primary school. In Teochew I was teased that I have a "big tongue".

I don't know how I overcame it after secondary school; but now I speak normal.

My handwriting is atrocious. The mother's word were the same I used to console myself: My thoughts are too fast for my hand to catch up!

Inspiring post!

coconut said...

wonder why i use "coconut"? thats my nick name in childhood "coconut head" to be exact.

i was told that i often testing my head on walls and lamp post when i was very young, maybe thats how i fix my damage brain haha.