Formulate your own trading rules that suits your style of trading and follow them religiously. Examples below are some that you might want to adopt, adjust, change or add.
1. Check the overnight performance of the various markets.
2. Check the timing for announcement of economic data and the various figures.
3. Plan your Trades.
4. Justify your trade entry.
5. Put in a stop immediately.
6. Limit your losses per trade, 5 ticks, 10 ticks or 20 ticks.
7. Limit your losses per day, $500, $1,000 or $2,000.
8. Stop trading if being stop out 3, 4 or 5 times in a row.
9. Avoid getting in an out of the market too often unless you are a scalper.
10. Avoid Averaging on bad trades unless it's in your trading plan.
11. Avoid chasing the market if you miss it, the market is there everyday.
12. Don't ever allow a big winning trade to turn into a loser, move your stop to protect it.
13. Beware of the risk of trying to pick tops or bottoms, many stops are placed there.
14. Trade what you see not what you think.
15. Get out of a Trade immediately if you don't feel comfortable.
16. Stop trading if you are tired.
17. Never never carry a losing position overnight.
18. Do a post mortem of your trades at the end of the day.
19. Control your frustration, don't blame anybody for your losses and admit when you are wrong.
20. Learn from your losses, you paid for them.
Trading is simple but it's not easy.
Many traders are not making money because they can't even follow simple rules.